Rectangular in size, siliceous ceramic with painted decoration in cobalt blue and turquoise on white slip under transparent glaze, of a plant stem decorated with flowers in buds and serrated leaves, framed on either side by a star-shaped half-rosette, the borders underlined by a turquoise line.
12.5 x 25 cm (approx.)
One broken tile glued back.
- WILLIAMS, Caroline, Islamic Monuments in Cairo, A Practical Guide, Cairo: 1999, pp.87-88
- CONSERVATION PROJECT OF THE AQSUNQUR MOSQUE (BLUE MOSQUE) A project funded by the World Monuments Fund & the Aga Khan Trust for Culture, FINAL REPORT December 2012 / submitted March 2013.
Similar tiles are found on the Qibla wall of the Aqsunqur Mosque in Cairo. Built in 1347 by Amir Aqsunqur, son-in-law of Sultan al-Nasir Muhammad who ruled the Mamluk kingdom in the first half of the 14th century, it is better known as the Blue Mosque, a nickname inspired by the decoration of its qibla wall, which was entirely covered with cobalt- and turquoise-blue tiles during the 1652 restoration campaign of the mosque by the Ottoman Amir Ibrahim Agha Mustafazan. Following the style of Ottoman Iznik tiles, a manufacture in Istanbul, Damascus or even Ibrahim Agha's native village is most commonly suggested for the tiles in this set.
A group of five border tiles with floral stems and roses, Ottoman Empire, probably Turkey for Egypt, 17th century